Hannah from Christianlife429 has requested a post about listening to your parents! I also think that this falls under obeying your parents too!
Here are some scriptures about listing/obeying your parents:
Children, obey your parents in the LORD: for this is right. Children, obey your parents in the LORD: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
From this passage, we can learn the following:
- Children are to obey their parents–that is, both mother and father.
- They are to obey their parents “in the Lord.” This phrase contains a couple of ideas. First, to obey their parents is to obey the Lord. By obeying them “in the Lord” they are also in obedience to the Lord. The reverse is also true. To disobey their parents is to disobey the Lord. Second, this passage gives guidance to those dealing with wicked parents or parents that would lead the child into sin. If they are to be obeyed in the Lord, then obedience is not absolutely required if they are asked to do something that is in direct disobedience to God. For instance, if the child is told to steal something by one of his parents and the child knows that this is a sin against God, the child may refuse to obey this commandment. As you can understand, this usually deals with older children with ungodly parents. Even then, the instances are unusual.
- They are to obey their parents because it is right. They are not simply to obey because of fear or necessity. As they grow in the Lord, they should learn to obey because it is the desire of God and it is the right thing to do.
- They are to honor their father and mother. This goes beyond obedience It means to hold high; it means to give a special place of respect. Obedience will be the result of such honor, but obedience can be performed without honor.
- The command for children to honor their parents is one of the ten commandments and it is the first of the commandments that had a special promise attached to it. The promise is twofold: that “it may be well with thee” refers to the quality of life while “thou mayest live long on the earth” refers to the quantity of life. The children who honor their parents will have a better life and a longer life. Does this mean that all these children will live to 90 and beyond? Of course not. But they will extend the length of their life and improve the quality of their life by their honor and obedience.
There are too many verses to give a further survey, but one parallel verse deserves a mention.
Colossians 3:20 states, “Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the LORD.” In this verse we learn that God is pleased when children obey their parents. The child who minds Mom or Dad gets a big smile from God. What a blessing is this matter of obedience! (I got all this from a website, click here to read it on the site.)
Now I know that you don’t want to obey your parents all the time! You may even get mad at them for telling you something! Well let me tell you that they LOVE sooooooooo much that what they tell you is for your own good!! They don’t want to hurt you so they tell you to do things to help you! Now they may tell you to clean your room(who likes doing that?), but the reason they tell you that is so you: one don’t trip on your toys and get hurt, two you learn how to be responsable for the thinks that you have. So what ever they tell you is for your good! you’ll thank them one day(I know you may be thinking “Yeah right!”) but you will trust me!!!!!!!!! GOD also gave us parents to teach us HIS ways before we start learning on our own!!!!!!
Here are some more scriptures on listing/obeying your parents:
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.”
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your GOD is giving you.”
Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your GOD has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the LORD your GOD is giving you.
Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the LORD.
‘For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him.
A wise son heeds his father’s instruction, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
A fool despises his father’s instruction, But he who receives correction is prudent.
If you don’t listen/obey your parents then how do you think that you will listen/obey GOD?
20) My son, keep your father’s command, And do not forsake the law of your mother. 21) Bind them continually upon your heart; Tie them around your neck. 22) When you roam, they will lead you; When you sleep, they will keep you; And when you awake, they will speak with you. 23) For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.
20) My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. 21) Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; 22) For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh. 23) Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life. 24) Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you. 25) Let your eyes look straight ahead, And your eyelids look right before you. 26) Ponder the path of your feet, And let all your ways be established. 27) Do not turn to the right or the left; Remove your foot from evil.
Hannah has made two suggestions for the Life Issue’s post and this was one of the two! So if you make any suggestions I will post about it in two weeks! If you would like make a suggestion on a life issue for next week then please leave a comment below and I’ll get it. If you are going through a life issue and have question about it, want to know more about it, or would like to know what GOD says about it then please leave a comment below and I’ll post about it! If you would like to be anonymous then that is okay. If you would like me not to post your comment for other people to read then please say so then the comment and I will NOT post it! See you next week(LORD willing)!